The terms of living looks very different if you live within or outside of the urban context, and issues about the relationship between the city and the countryside has become an increasingly important in todays society. Meanwhile, climate change is a fact, and will affect our lives increasingly. Since the founding of Art Lab Gnesta in 2010, we’ve been a platform for discussions on environmental and rural issues, co-producing several artistic new works with artists around these issues. Now we invite young artists to continue this conversation in our residency program.
Art Lab Gnesta is a place for creating, debating and experimenting with connections between art and society. We are interested in the relationships between art and artists, the local community, schools, art institutions and others involved in the arts or social issues – locally, nationally and internationally. With our feet in the railroad town of Gnesta and with eyes fixed forward, we are a place for production, presentation and discussion. Art Lab Gnesta is a self-organized initiative founded in 2010, run by a board consisting of among other artists, curators and architects.
* Your art concerns environmental issues, relationships between human-nature or urban-rural contexts
* You have recently left an artistic education and/or are under the age of 35
* You are based in one of the Nordic or Baltic countries
The selection is made by ALG’s AIR working group and will be based on the theme of the artistic work, curiosity of Gnesta/Sörmland and opportunity to benefit from what we offer.
* Accommodation and studio space at Art Lab Gnesta for 2 months
* Stipend of 1,000 euros/month
* Reimbursement of travel expenses to/from Gnesta
* Production costs upon agreement
* Presentation of the project upon agreement
This call is for the residency of two artists, one autumn/winter 2015 and one during spring 2016. Send your applications to caroline.malmstrom[a]artlabgnesta.se no later than 15 August 2015. Attach project description, CV and relevant documentation with link to previous work.
Our residency program has been made possible by the support of Nordic Culture Point.